Pride in Water is a network created for LGBTIQ+ people and allies that work in the water industry throughout Australia. This network is an opportunity to create a more inclusive water industry for LGBTIQ+ staff, contractors, customers and our broader community.
BACKGROUND TO PRIDE IN WATER
Pride in Water was established in 2019, driven by Yarra Valley Water and inspired by the broader water industries proactive leadership stance in encouraging a collaborative approach across the industry. The idea for Pride in Water emerged from the experience of two LGBTIQ+ employees at Yarra Valley Water (Jacquie Moon and Brendan Moore), passionate about creating a collaborative initiative, they co-founded the Pride in Water network to create an industry where every LGBTIQ+ person feels valued, safe and included.
A report by the Australian Human Rights Commission in 2014 indicated that 11% of people in Australia identify as LGBTIQ+. It further stated that 50% of LGBTIQ+ people felt compelled not to reveal their sexuality or gender identity at work for fear of isolation, discrimination or abuse. In a 2019 study on workplace inclusion by the Diversity Council of Australia, 44% of LGBTIQ+ workers had personally experienced discrimination and/or harassment in the past 12 months.
Yarra Valley Water’s commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace has changed the culture of the organisation. Celebrating visibility days, providing information blogs and championing the importance of LGBTIQ+ allies have all contributed to a significant cultural change, and has seen an increase in employees feeling comfortable to identify as part of the LGBTIQ+ community and as strong allies. Through their experience of being involved in this cultural change work at Yarra Valley Water, as well as Jacquie and Brendan’s lived experience and connections within the LGBTIQ+ community, they could see that the water industry had significant opportunities to improve conditions for employees, customers and community, and align with leading organisations. This led to a vision for connecting with metro and rural water authorities across Australia to share resources, ideas and create a better practice approach to LGBTIQ+ inclusion in the water industry.
OUR COLLABORATIVE VISION
Pride in Water will provide support and guidance for all water authorities on their LGBTIQ+ inclusion journeys and will create a better practice model for the inclusion of the LGBTIQ+ community across the Australian water industry.
Working together, our vision is to create a water industry for ALL LGBTIQ+ people to feel safe, included and valued.
If you would like to join Pride in Water, collaborate with us, or find out more information, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting Pride in Water
- Western Water is dedicated to creating an inclusive work environment where all individuals feel comfortable and can bring their whole selves to work. Providing a workplace of equality is fundamental to who we are at Western Water and in this spirit, we want to express our strong support for the new VicWater ‘Pride In Water Network’ and our LGBTIQ employees, customers and community.Jeff RigbyManaging Director, Western Water
- Goulburn Valley Water is committed to inclusive strategies and actions that support and celebrate the contribution of LGBTI+ people in our workforce, industry, families and communities. Providing a safe place where all people feel like they can be themselves and contribute their best is important to us. The Pride in Water Network launch is an exciting opportunity for us to connect with others and support and celebrate the LGBTI+ community.Peter QuinnGoulburn Valley Water MD
- "I stand proudly for all at Southern Rural Water welcoming people from all communities and backgrounds. We stand for creating an environment which is fair, safe and welcoming of all people regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity or intersex status. We aim to foster a workplace environment and culture where all employees can feel free to be themselves and to thrive as we deliver excellence in everything we do"Cameron FitzGeraldSouthern Rural Water Managing Director
- "I'm really proud of our involvement in the Pride in Water initiative. We're working hard to create a better world free from discrimination, and for us, that starts in our workplace. We're proud of our diverse, inclusive culture where everyone can be who they are, but we know as a society we need to do more to stop prejudice and discrimination. Pride in Water is a fantastic, industry-wide initiative to support our LGBTIQ colleagues and their families and friends. I'm excited for us at South East Water to be part of a program to lead change both in our industry and beyond and create a safer, more supportive and better workplace for everyone."Lara OlsenManaging Director South East Water
- "It is very encouraging to see our industry show its genuine support and promotion of the LGBTIQ+ community. Brendan, Jacquie and the Pride in Water working group have led the way in raising awareness within the water industry, celebrating our diversity and driving support for our LGBTIQ+ people. As the leading association for the Victorian water industry, VicWater is pleased to support the Pride in Water network in making a difference for diversity and inclusion across the sector."Peter MorisonVicWater CEO
- "As a major regional organisation, Wannon Water has a responsibility to champion human rights. We believe that everyone should be treated equally and with respect - no matter their background, heritage, ability, gender or sexual orientation."Andrew JeffersWannon Water Managing Director